A Tequila and Sprite is a sweet and refreshing cocktail that is made with two simple ingredients: Tequila and Sprite.
I use silver or blanco tequila, which mixes perfectly with the lemon-lime Sprite flavor and makes a perfect summer cocktail!
I love how the tequila still comes through the Sprite. Perfect for tequila lovers! My recipe is a fresher version of this cocktail.
No recipe is really needed, but I’ve included one below just in case.
Why you’ll love this drink
You’ll love this Tequila and Sprite cocktail because it’s incredibly easy & quick to make. You literally just have to pour two ingredients into an ice-filled glass!
Tequila lends itself well to mixing with lemon-lime sodas like Sprite. The carbonation of the Sprite lightens up tequila’s strong flavor without overpowering it.
You can mix almost any alcohol with Sprite (and I have). If you’re looking for a more spirit-forward cocktail–simply add an extra ounce of tequila to this recipe.
The Tequila I use
For this recipe I use a silver or blanco tequila because it’s clean flavor pairs well with the lemon-lime flavored Sprite.
This cocktail doesn’t have extra ingredients so use your favorite high-quality tequila brand.
Feel free to try these other types of tequila for your Tequila and Sprite cocktail:
- Reposado: Sweet and oaky flavor with notes of citrus
- Joven: A bit spicy and smokey with a smooth finish
- Anejo: Smokey and salty with a caramel finish
I’m not really a sugar person, so I always use Diet Sprite or Sprite Zero.
You can also pour any other soda mixers you like, such as 7-Up or Mountain Dew.
As you may already know: tequila and lime are soulmates. I add extra lime to step it up.
Tequila absolutely begs for the acidity of lime. You can add lime in 2 ways in this drink:
- Add ½ ounce or 1 tablespoon lime juice. This gives it a more forward lime flavor. I LOVE lime, so I add up to 1 ½ tablespoons.
- Squeeze in the juice from a lime wedge. You can also just use your cocktail garnish for the lime juice. The amount from 1 wedge is about 1 teaspoon, so the lemon is more of a compliment flavor here.
Tequila is traditionally served with lime. But use whatever citrus you prefer or have on hand such as:
Is Tequila and Sprite good?
I love this cocktail because it is so delicious and of course, convenient! Sprite is essentially a sweetener with lemon-lime flavor. Tequila famously pairs well with lime and citrus.
I prefer lots of ice for a refreshing drink. And I use silver or blanco Tequila, which has a cleaner (less smoky) flavor.
Tequila and Sprite Recipe
Only two ingredients in this light and refreshing Tequila and Sprite Cocktail. Grab some tequila, Sprite, and lime to make this quick cocktail.
Tequila and Sprite
A refreshing tequila cocktail made with 2- ingredients: Tequila and Sprite.u003cbru003e
- 1 oz tequila I prefer silver tequila for this drink
- 4 oz Sprite
- (optional) 1-2 wedges fresh lime
- Fill a whiskey glass with ice.
- Pour in 1 oz tequila,
- (optional) squeeze 1-2 fresh lime wedges and drop in the glass.
- Top off with 4 oz of Sprite.
- Give it a stir and drink your Tequila and Sprite!
u003cliu003eFor a spicy version, use jalapeno infused tequila!u003c/liu003e
Keep in mind to drink responsibly.
Tequila and Sprite FAQs
What if I don’t have any Sprite?
If you’re all out of Sprite, there are several soda substitutions, including:
- Sierra Mist
- Mountain Dew
- Store brand lemon lime soda
A soda like Mountain Dew will be a lot more intense/sweet and may mask the strong tequila taste a bit.
You can also use a lemon or lime seltzer water–and stir in some simple syrup!
What is Tequila and Sprite called?
Tequila and Sprite is also known as a Tequila Slammer. It is served in a rocks glass and is made with tequila and a lemon-lime flavored soda (or ginger ale). Some folks call it a Poor Man’s Margarita or a Budget Margarita.
In Mexico, a Tequila and Sprite (or 7UP) is known as a Muppet and served in a shot glass.
Tequila and Sprite variations
As I mentioned, you can make a “blank and Sprite” with almost any spirit! You can use the same ratio in most cases. These are great ideas for tasty and easy drinks!
Here are a few ideas to try:
- Vodka for Vodka and Sprite
- Any whiskey or bourbon for Whiskey and Sprite
- Rum for a Rum and Sprite
- Gin for Gin and Sprite
- Wine and Sprite
- Crown Royal for Crown and Sprite
Mixing a liquor with Sprite is a one of my favorite ways to make a low alcohol cocktail. You don’t even have to measure!
Here are a few more 2-ingredient cocktails in this family:
More cocktail collections
Love whiskey? Me too. Here are a few more whiskey bourbon drinks I know you’ll love:
- 10 Whiskey and Sprite Drinks
- 10 Best Maker’s Mark Cocktails
- 12 Best Japanese Whiskey Cocktails
- 20 Buffalo Trace Cocktails & Drink Recipes
- 15 Best Bourbon Martinis
Hungry for more? Try my Best Bourbon for Pecan Pie (+ Easy Recipe).
Did you try my Tequila and Sprite recipe? Let me know how it turned out in the comments below!