Need to rescue your salty mac and cheese? Due to the salt added to most cheeses, your mac and cheese may turn out too salty.
Here are 5 easy fixes to reduce the sodium levels in your macaroni and cheese dish.
How to Fix Salty Mac and Cheese
What do I do to fix salty mac and cheese?
1. Add Bulk
Add half the amount of pasta you used into a pot of boiling water (without adding salt).
If the macaroni and cheese is very salty, double the original amount of pasta.
If you need more “cheese sauce”, stir in a little cream, fresh mozzarella, ricotta, goat, or Swiss cheese until well mixed.
For baked macaroni and cheese: Remove the top cheese crust and scoop out the salty filling. Then combine the salty and unsalted filling. Mix thoroughly. Place the crust back on the filling and pop in the oven again to warm up the top crust.
2. Add a Starch
Mix in some cooked (unsalted) rice, potato flakes, pasta or quinoa.
These salt-thirsty ingredients will absorb quite a bit of salt.
Throw some into your mac and cheese and simmer on the stove for a few minutes.
3. Add Some Greens
Throw in some greens like finely chopped kale, spinach.
Cooked cauliflower rice, carrots, peas, and other veggies work great too.
Veggies will neutralize the saltiness.
This is also a great hack for adding more nutritious vegetables to your meals.
4. Add Sour Cream or Mozzarella Cheese
Dairy can counteract over salted food.
Sour cream or a low-sodium cheese like fresh mozzarella, Swiss, goat, and ricotta are great fixes.
There are also brands that offer low-sodium cheese options like Helluva Good Cheddar Cheese.
Related: 30 Most Popular Mexican Cheeses
5. Make Another Dish Out of It
Here are some ideas for how to turn salty mac and cheese into a masterpiece:
- Add ground beef and veggies and turn it into a casserole
- Make it Mex by adding canned black beans, tomato, onions, and cilantro.
- Make a mac and cheese 7-layer burrito
- Make guacamole mac and cheese
Did you know?
Mac and cheese originated in England.It traditionally is made with cooked macaroni pasta and a cheese sauce, most commonly cheddar.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
When you need some comfort food, there’s nothing better than mac and cheese.
Best of all, the recipes make plenty, so you’re pretty much guaranteed to have leftovers.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and strained
- 1/2 pkg. (4 oz.) Kraft Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1/2 pkg. (4 oz.) Kraft Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in large saucepan on low heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir 2 min, or until bubbly. Gradually stir in milk; bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer on low heat 3 to 5 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add 1-1/2 cups of combines cheddar and mozzarella cheeses; cook and stir for 2 to 3 mins, or until melted. Stir in macaroni.
- Spoon into 1-1/2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake 20 min. or until heated through.
Mac and Cheese Q&A
Which cheeses have the most salt?
- Halloumi (approx 330 mg sodium/serving)
- Imported blue cheese (approx 325 mg sodium/serving)
- Feta (approx 323 mg sodium/serving)
- Processed cheeses (like string cheese) (approx 200-300 mg/serving)
- Edam (approx 276 mg sodium/serving)
What cheeses are typically used for mac and cheese?
- Sharp cheddar
- White Cheddar
- Smoked Gouda
- Aged cheddar
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- Monterey Jack
- Cream Cheese
What is the best pasta to use for macaroni and cheese?
- Elbow macaroni
- Small shells
- Curly spirals (fusilli and rotini)
- Bow ties
How is mac and cheese served?
Mac and cheese is most commonly served as a casserole, dip, or side in the United States.
What else can you put in macaroni and cheese?
“The limit does not exist!”
- Extra melted cheese (baked crust or stovetop)
- Veggies (peas, carrots…)
- Seasoning (garlic, dill…)
- Garnish (parsley, cilantro…)
- Ground beef
- Canned tuna
- Bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- Hot sauce
How do I fix mac and cheese with too much milk?
Reheat the macaroni and cheese on the stove stirring constantly.
Heat the milk down to the desired level. Optionally, you can add a starch like flour, cornstarch, or mashed potato flakes to thicken it.
Starches should be cooked to remove the raw flavor.
How do you make mac and cheese sauce thinner?
Throw the mac and cheese in a skillet with butter or olive oil and sauté over a low heat.
Can I freeze mac and cheese?
Absolutely! Like other cheesy pasta casseroles, mac and cheese freezes well.
You can freeze it in separate containers, too, for easy reheating.
Share This Article
If you found this post on how to fix salty mac and cheese super helpful, please share it with your friends and followers!