Black colored snacks are the perfect way to add excitement to your diet. Some of these black snacks are perfect for a Halloween or black themed party.
And while some of these black snack options are tasty and decadent. Many of these black colored snacks are healthy and rich in anthocyanins.
So let’s look at 25 delicious and nutritious black snacks!
1. Black Squid Ink Chicken Wings
Squid Ink Chicken Wings are a perfect addition to your list of black colored snacks.
These wings are coated in a sauce of miso and Indonesian sambal oelek chili paste, then colored with black squid ink.
Black Squid Ink Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 1/4 cup sambal oelek chili paste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp black squid ink
- In a large bowl, whisk together miso paste, sambal oelek chili paste, soy sauce, honey, and black squid ink.
- Add chicken wings to the bowl and toss until fully coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place chicken wings on the sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the wings are cooked through and crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- If you can’t find black squid ink, you can substitute it with activated charcoal powder.
- For extra crispy wings, broil for the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- These wings can also be cooked on the grill for a smoky flavor.
2. Black Sapote Smoothie
Black Sapote is a tropical fruit that is also known as the “chocolate pudding fruit” because of its dark brown flesh that resembles chocolate pudding.
The fruit is native to Mexico and Central America and is now grown in many other countries. It is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and fiber.
To eat a ripe Black Sapote, cut the fruit in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. The flesh is soft and creamy, with a flavor that is often described as a combination of chocolate, caramel, and pumpkin.
It can be eaten as a dessert on its own or used in recipes for smoothies, ice cream, or baked goods.
Black Sapote Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ripe Black Sapote
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut the Black Sapote in half and scoop out the flesh.
- Add the Black Sapote flesh, banana, almond milk, honey, and vanilla extract to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
- If the Black Sapote is not ripe, leave it at room temperature for a few days until it softens.
- To make the smoothie thicker, add ice cubes or frozen banana.
- For a vegan version, use maple syrup instead of honey and soy milk instead of almond milk.
3. Black Sesame Seed Brittle
Black Sesame Seed Brittle is a crunchy, sweet snack that is perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
It has a nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch that makes it a great snack for any time of day.
4. Black Rice Crackers
Black rice crackers are a delicious and healthy snack option that are perfect for those who are looking for a low-calorie snack to munch on.
Made from black rice, these crackers are gluten-free, vegan, and non-GMO verified, making them a great choice for those with dietary restrictions.
One popular brand of black rice crackers is LAIKI, which offers a variety of flavors including sea salt, red rice, and black rice.
These crackers are made with simple, natural ingredients and are baked to perfection, resulting in a light and airy crunch that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
5. Black Olive Tapenade on Black Bread
Black Olive Tapenade on Black Bread is a perfect snack for those who love black colored snacks.
This savory and salty dish is made with black olives, garlic, and anchovies.
The tapenade is served on black bread, which is usually made with activated charcoal or squid ink.
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Black bread slices
- In a food processor, combine the black olives, garlic, and anchovy fillets. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add in the olive oil and lemon juice. Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toast the black bread slices and spread the black olive tapenade on top.
- Serve immediately.
This black olive tapenade can also be served as a dip with crackers or vegetables.
6. Black Corn Chips
Black corn chips are made from black corn, which is a type of corn that is naturally black in color.
They taste just as good, if not better! One of the benefits of black corn chips is that they are rich in antioxidants.
These antioxidants help to protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals. Black corn chips are a good source of fiber, which can help to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
If you’re looking for a tasty black corn chips snack, try making your own black bean salsa. Here’s a recipe to get you started:
Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, red onion, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro.
- Add the lime juice and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with black corn chips for a delicious and healthy snack.
Blackcurrants are a delicious and nutritious snack that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
These small, black colored snacks are packed with flavor and are a great source of vitamins and antioxidants.
One of the most popular ways to enjoy blackcurrants is by making jam.
This sweet and tangy spread is perfect for toast, scones, and even as a topping for black ice cream.
8. Blackout Chocolate Cupcakes
Blackout chocolate cupcakes are a decadent and indulgent dessert that are perfect for chocolate lovers.
These cupcakes are rich, moist, and filled with intense chocolate flavor.
Blackout Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, alternating with hot water, until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cupcake liner about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For an extra chocolatey experience, add chocolate chips or chocolate chunks to the batter.
- Make sure to mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately before combining them to ensure a smooth and well-combined batter.
- Do not overbake the cupcakes, as this can make them dry and crumbly.
9. Black Bean Dip
Black bean dip is a classic party snack that is perfect for any occasion.
This dip is not only delicious but also healthy, thanks to the high fiber and protein content of black beans.
It’s easy to make and can be served with tortilla chips, pita bread, or veggies.
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- In a food processor or blender, combine black beans, onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, and salt.
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pita bread, or veggies.
- For a creamier dip, add a tablespoon or two of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- For a spicier dip, leave the seeds in the jalapeño pepper or add a dash of cayenne pepper.
- For a milder dip, omit the jalapeño pepper or use a milder pepper, such as a poblano or Anaheim pepper.
- For a chunkier dip, reserve a few tablespoons of black beans and stir them in after blending.
Black bean dip is a great addition to any party or gathering. It’s easy to make, healthy, and delicious. Give it a try at your next event and watch it disappear in no time!
10. Black Lentil Soup
Black lentil soup is a hearty, flavorful, and healthy dish that is perfect for a cold day.
Made with black lentils, which are also known as beluga lentils, this soup has a rich and earthy flavor that is both satisfying and comforting.
Black Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 cup black lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, broth, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook on medium-low until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- For a vegan version, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- This soup can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve.
11. Black Sesame Ice Cream
Black sesame ice cream is a unique and tasty dessert that combines the nutty flavor of black sesame seeds with the creamy goodness of ice cream. This Asian-inspired treat is becoming more and more popular in the West, and for good reason.
Black sesame ice cream is a delicious and unique dessert that is sure to impress. The nutty flavor of the black sesame seeds pairs perfectly with the creamy texture of the ice cream.
12. Black Caviar on Black Crackers
Black caviar is a luxurious delicacy. It is usually paired with crackers, toast, or blinis. However, to make the presentation more striking, caviar can be served on black crackers.
Black crackers are not only visually appealing but also have a unique flavor that complements the briny taste of caviar.
13. Black Mission Figs
Black Mission Figs are a delicious and healthy snack that can be enjoyed any time of day.
These figs are small, black colored fruit with a complex smoky flavor.
Enjoy Black Mission Figs straight out of the package. They are a perfect on-the-go snack and can be easily added to a lunchbox or backpack.
14. Black Licorice
Black licorice is a classic candy that has been enjoyed for generations. It has a distinct flavor that comes from licorice root extract. It is black in color and has a chewy texture.
One serving of black licorice candy contains around 140 calories, 1 gram of protein, and 1 gram of fat. It is not a health food, but it can be enjoyed in moderation as a snack.
There are many different brands of black licorice candy available on the market. Some popular brands include Gustaf’s Allsorts Gourmet English Licorice and YumEarth Organic Black Licorice.
15. Black Velvet Cake
Black velvet cake is a delicious and visually stunning dessert.
This cake is made with black cocoa powder, which gives it its deep, dark color.
The cake is then paired with a creamy frosting, creating the perfect balance of sweet and rich flavors.
16. Black Macarons
Black macarons are a delicious and visually stunning dessert option for those who love black colored snacks.
These delicate French pastries are made with almond flour, egg whites, and sugar, and are filled with decadent dark chocolate ganache.
Black macarons as a sophisticated dessert for a fancy afternoon snack.
17. Black Carrot Sticks
Black carrot sticks are a unique and healthy snack option that is perfect for those who want to try something new.
They are packed with nutrients and antioxidants that are essential for good health.
Black carrot sticks can be served with a variety of dips and sauces.
18. Toasted Black Bread and Blackberry Jam
Toasted black bread and blackberry jam is easy to make and also healthy and delicious. Black bread is rich in nutrients and fiber, making it a healthier alternative to white bread.
To make this snack, all you need is a toasted black bread and some blackberry jam. You can either make the jam at home or buy it from the store.
Here is a simple recipe for blackberry jam:
Blackberry Jam Sandwiche Recipe
- 6 cups fresh blackberries
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a large pot, combine the blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the jam has thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer the jam to a jar and store in the refrigerator.
- You can use frozen blackberries instead of fresh ones if they are not in season.
- If you prefer a smoother jam, you can puree the blackberries before cooking them.
To make the snack, toast a slice of black bread and spread some blackberry jam on top. You can also add some butter or cream cheese for extra flavor. This snack is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or as a mid-day snack.
19. Black Lemonade
Black lemonade is a refreshing and unique drink that is perfect for any occasion. This drink is not only delicious, but also has a cool and spooky look that makes it a hit at Halloween parties.
The deep black color of the lemonade is achieved by adding activated charcoal, which is known for its detoxifying properties.
- 2 lemons
- 1-2 activated charcoal capsules
- Ice cubes
- Stevia to taste
- Lemon wedge or fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Squeeze the juice of two lemons into a glass.
- Break open 1-2 activated charcoal capsules and add the contents to the lemon juice.
- Add ice cubes to the glass and top up with water.
- Add stevia to taste and stir well.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge or fresh mint leaves.
- Be careful when handling activated charcoal, as it can stain clothing and surfaces.
- Use a straw to drink the lemonade to avoid staining your teeth.
- For a sweeter lemonade, use maple syrup instead of stevia.
20. Black Seaweed Nori
Black seaweed nori is a popular Japanese sea vegetable that is commonly used in sushi rolls. It is made by drying and pressing seaweed into thin sheets. Nori is rich in vitamins and minerals, including iodine and iron, making it a healthy addition to any diet.
Nori is usually plain and unflavored, but seasoned nori called ajitsuke nori is also available. This type of nori is flavored with soy sauce, sugar, and other ingredients, giving it a punch of umami flavor.
I used nori as a wrap.Try filling nori sheets with black caviar for a unique seafood flavor experience.
21. Blackberry Smoothie with Black Sesame
Blackberry smoothies are a delicious and nutritious snack. They are rich in antioxidants and fiber, making them a healthy addition to any diet.
Black sesame seeds are added to this smoothie recipe to darken the banana.
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 ripe banana (or black sapote)
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Expert Tip: For a thicker smoothie, add a handful of ice cubes before blending.
22. Black Donuts
Black donuts are a decadent snack. Not super nutritious, but super delicious!
Some donut shops or bakers create unique designs for their donuts, a donut with a black color or a dark chocolate flavor may be referred to as a “black donut”.
23. Black Cupcakes
Black cupcakes are a cool black snack with a dark chocolate flavor. To achieve the black color, food coloring or ingredients such as activated charcoal powder can be used.
Some recipes for black cupcakes also incorporate dark ingredients such as black cocoa powder or espresso to enhance the chocolate flavor.
Black cupcakes can be decorated with various toppings and black frosting or chocolate ganache.
24. Black Caramel Apples
Black caramel apples create a spooky or dramatic effect, making them a popular treat during Halloween or other themed events.
Black caramel apples can be decorated with various toppings such as crushed Oreo cookies, black sprinkles, or chocolate chips.
25. Squid Ink Ravioli
Black squid ink ravioli is a type of pasta dish that is made by using squid ink to color the pasta dough black.
The pasta dough is typically made with flour, eggs, and squid ink, which gives it a distinct briny flavor and a dark, almost black color.
The dough is then rolled out and filled with a variety of ingredients, such as cheese, meat, or vegetables, to make ravioli.